On 27 March 2011 12:12, jouba <antr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am a new user of the function sem in package sem and lavaan for
> structural
> equation modeling
> 1. I don’t know what is the difference between this function and CFA
> function, I know that cfa for confirmatory analysis but I don’t  know what
> is the difference between confirmatory analysis and  structural equation
> modeling in the package lavaan.

Confirmatory factor analyses are a class of SEMs.  All CFAs are SEMs, some
SEMs are CFA.  Usually (but definitions vary), if you have a measurement
model only, that's a CFA.  If you have a structural model too, that's SEM.

If you don't understand this distinction, might I suggest a little more
reading before you launch into the world of lavaan?  Things can get quite
tricky quite quickly.

> 2. I have data that I want to analyse but I have some missing data I must
> impute these missing data and I use this package or there is a method that
> can handle missing data (I want to avoid to delete observations where I
> have
> some missing data)

No, you can use full information maximum likelihood estimation (= direct ML)
to model data in the presence of missing data.

> 3. I have to use variables that arn’t normally distributed , even if I
> tried
> to do some transformation to theses variables t I cant success to have
> normally distributed data , so I decide to  work with these data non
> normally distributed, my question  my result will be ok even if I have non
> normally distributd data.

Depends.  Lavaan can do things like Satorra-Bentler scaled chi-square, which
are robust to non-normality, and corrects your chi-square for (multivariate)
kurtosis.

> 4. If I work with the package ggm for separation d , without latent
> variables we will have the same result as SEM function I guess

Not familiar with ggm.  I'll leave that for someone else.

> 5. How about when we have the number of observation is small n, and what
>  is
> the method to know that we have the minimum of observation required??

Another very difficult question.  Short answer:  it depends.  Sometimes you
see recommendations based on the number of participants per parameter, which
is usually around 5-10.  These are somewhat flawed, but it's better than
nothing.

Again, I should reiterate that you have a hard road in front of you, and it
will be made much easier if you read a couple of introductory SEM texts,
which will  answer this sort of question.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Miles
Psychology Research Methods Wiki: www.researchmethodsinpsychology.com