On 27/04/2011 13:18, Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> >  Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:16:26 +0200
>> >  From:jonat...@k-m-p.nl
>> >  To:r-help@r-project.org
>> >  Subject: [R] Speed up plotting to MSWindows graphics window
>> >
>> >  Hello,
>> >
>> >  I am working on a project analysing the performance of motor-vehicles
>> >  through messages logged over a CAN bus.
>> >
>> >  I am using R 2.12 on Windows XP and 7
>> >
>> >  I am currently plotting the data in R, overlaying 5 or more plots of
>> >  data, logged at 1kHz, (using plot.ts() and par(new = TRUE)).
>> >  The aim is to be able to pan, zoom in and out and get values from the
>> >  plotted graph using a custom Qt interface that is used as a front end to
>> >  R.exe (all this works).
>> >  The plot is drawn by R directly to the windows graphic device.
>> >
>> >  The data is imported from a .csv file (typically around 100MB) to a
>> > matrix.
>> >  (timestamp, message ID, byte0, byte1, ..., byte7)
>> >  I then separate this matrix into several by message ID (dimensions are
>> >  in the order of 8cols, 10^6 rows)
>> >
>> >  The panning is done by redrawing the plots, shifted by a small amount.
>> >  So as to view a window of data from a second to a minute long that can
>> >  travel the length of the logged data.
>> >
>> >  My problem is that, the redrawing of the plots whilst panning is too
>> >  slow when dealing with this much data.
>> >  i.e.: I can see the last graphs being drawn to the screen in the
>> >  half-second following the view change.
>> >  I need a fluid change from one view to the next.
>> >
>> >  My question is this:
>> >  Are there ways to speed up the plotting on the MSWindows display?
>> >  By reducing plotted point densities to*sensible*  values?
> Well, hard to know but it would help to know where all the time is going.
> Usually people start complaining when VM thrashing is common but if you are
> CPU limited you could try restricting the range of data you want to plot
> rather than relying on the plot to just clip the largely irrelevant points
> when you are zoomed in. It should not be too expensive to find the
> limits either incrementally or with binary search on ordered time series.
> Presumably subsetting is fast using  foo[a:b,]
>
> One thing you may want to try for change of scale is wavelet  or
> multi-resolution analysis. You can make a tree ( increasing memory usage
> but even VM here may not be a big penalty if coherence is high ) and
> display the resolution appropriate for the current scale.

I forgot to add, for plotting I use a command similar to:

         plot.ts(timestampVector, dataVector, xlim=c(a,b))

a and b are timestamps from timestampVector

Is the xlim parameter sufficient for limiting the scope of the plots?
Or should I subset the timeseries each time I do a plot?

The multi-resolution analysis looks interesting.
I shall spend some time finding out how to use the wavelets package.

Cheers!