For those not familiar Ruby Koans is a fantastic platform for teaching many
of the basics of programming in the Ruby language.  It uses unit tests
written for methods each of which describe a component of the Ruby
programming language.

http://rubykoans.com/

The koans platform has become popular enough that it has been translated to
a few other popular languages.

Clojure - https://github.com/functional-koans/clojure-koans
Python - https://github.com/gregmalcolm/python_koans
Javascript - https://github.com/mrdavidlaing/javascript-koans

I have been programming with R for around two years now, having come to R as
a non-programmer, hoping to use it as a pragmatic solution to handeling and
plotting lots of data.  My skills have increased but are still certainly
limited, and much of the advanced functionality remains a bit of a mystery
to me.

As I have learned more of other languages, particularly Ruby and Javascript,
I am amazed with what can be done and with some concepts I so clearly have
not learned while programming R.

Take a look at Ruby Koans.  Would this work for R?

--
Patrick Schmitz
Graduate Student