On May 5, 2011, at 10:48 AM, yoav baranan wrote:

Hi, I wonder whether the following is possible with R, and whether anyone has done that and can share his/her code with me. I have a correlation matrix, and I want to create a correlation table that I can copy to Microsoft Word with a superscript above each correlation, indicating significant differences in the same row. That is, when correlations in the same row do not share superscript, it means that they are significantly different from each other. thanks,yoav
        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

An example with data and the desired result might help focus the discussion.

This shows how to set up an example showing how extract the row numbers from a correlation matrix with absolute values above 0.5 but less than 1 (to exclude the trivial cases).

> set.seed(123)
> X <- matrix(rnorm(100), 10)
> apply(cor(X), 2, function(x) which(abs(x) > 0.5 & x < 1)  )
[[1]]
[1] 2 4 8

[[2]]
[1] 1 3

[[3]]
[1] 2 6 9

[[4]]
[1] 1 7

[[5]]
integer(0)

[[6]]
[1]  3 10

[[7]]
[1] 4

[[8]]
[1] 1

[[9]]
[1] 3

[[10]]
[1] 6

This would extract the rownames if they are letters[1:10]

> lapply( apply(cor(X), 2, function(x) which(abs(x) > 0.5 & x < 1) ), function(x) rownames(X)[x])
[[1]]
[1] "b" "d" "h"

[[2]]
[1] "a" "c"

[[3]]
[1] "b" "f" "i"

[[4]]
[1] "a" "g"

[[5]]
character(0)

[[6]]
[1] "c" "j"

[[7]]
[1] "d"

[[8]]
[1] "a"

[[9]]
[1] "c"

[[10]]
[1] "f"

Exactly how we are supposed to pass this to MS Word does not seem to be a proper question for this mailing list.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT