On Jun 21, 2011, at 12:22 AM, Joshua Wiley wrote:

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Erin Hodgess <erinm.hodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Too funny!

how about subset?

Sure, that is one option.  Each of the following will also work.  The
ones wrapped with c() can easily omit more than one at a time.

mtcars[, -which(names(mtcars) == "drat")]
mtcars[, names(mtcars) != "drat"]
mtcars[, !names(mtcars) %in% c("drat")]
mtcars[, -match(c("drat"), names(mtcars))]

I like to use grep (which returns a numeric index suitable for negating) since it generalizes better:

# exact match pattern:
mtcars[ , -grep("^drat$", names(mtcars) ) ]

#approximate, drop any name starting with "dra":
mtcars[ , -grep("^dra", names(mtcars) ) ]

#approximate, drop any name containing "dra":
mtcars[ , -grep("drat", names(mtcars) ) ]

And since the columns are actually list elements which can be addressed as numbers these are each equivalent to:

--
David