The Minitab and TI results are (modulo different levels of rounding) just what you'd get from
doing the problem ``by hand'' in the good old-fashioned way. :-)

The Excel result appears to be the same with an excessive level of rounding.

The ``by-hand'' procedure uses the plug-in method to get an approximation to the standard error of p.hat. The prop.test() function uses a more sophisticated approach which involves solving a quadratic equation to determine the endpoints of the confidence interval. This more sophisticated solution is a pain in the pohutukawa ( :-) ) to calculate by hand, but if you've
got a computer to do the nasty arithmetic for you, then why not?

The formula for the confidence interval endpoints using the more sophisticated method can be found e.g. in Jay L. Devore, Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences, Thomson --- Brooks/Cole, 6th ed., 2004, page 295. equation (7.10). The much simpler old-fashioned
formula is given on the same page as equation (7.11).

Presumably these formulae can be found in the Newcombe reference cited in the help for
prop.test(); I haven't checked.

HTH

    cheers,

            Rolf Turner