Robert,

What code did you run to get that error?

Do you get the error if the only code that you run is ...
     matrix(0, 30, 10)

You gave three arguments to matrix, which requires none, but can take up
to five.
In the function matrix there is a call to .Internal(matrix) which requires
7 arguments.
See ...
     matrix

Jean