Hey,
 Also, if your function varies in time (less than 5 minutes) then you could
use
total.time.difference=system.time(some.function)[1)]
# (for user time)  and you could plug this into your Sys.sleep() (which
accepts decimal seconds) if you can #accept an error on the order of
hundredths of seconds (and don't need to run another process in said
console)
            Ken