By the "null distribution" do you mean that the assignment of each
observation to a column is equal?  If so, the function sample() might
serve your needs.  For example:

rows <- 3
cols <- 4
rowtot <- 100

m <- matrix(NA, nrow=rows, ncol=cols)

for(i in seq(rows)) {
        m[i, ] <- tabulate(sample(seq(cols), rowtot, replace=T))
        }

[1,]   27   24   25   24
[2,]   19   24   26   31
[3,]   26   26   31   17