If you think that R is loosely typed, then examining LiSP code will change your mind, or at least give you a new data point further out on the "Loose-Tight" axis. I think you will need to do the processing "by hand".

The organization of the data is fairly clear. There are logical columns with values :neg and :pos, categorical columns with values in (id <value>) pairs, numeric ones and then a group of computed columns at the bottom. It also appears that after the first enumeration of ids with logical values that subsequent logical variables are defined possibly with "pos:" values only.

So I guess the counter-question is: How important is this particular dataset to you??

And further question might be, are you sure that you don't want the dataset that is right next to it: ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/machine-learning-databases/credit-screening/crx.data

It is well-behaved comma-separated file.
--
David.