On 10/05/2011 07:42 PM, lunarossa wrote:
I have this kind of matrix, with thousands of cases.

A 2 apple
A 2 peach
A 3 peach
B 1 pear
B 4 peach
B 4 beef
B 7 beef
C 1 peach
D 2 apple
D 5 peach

I have to distinguish, from the other rows, the rows with "peach" and this
is not a problem.

I also have to discriminate the rows with peach like the second one
(associated with the same two cells "A" and "2" to "apple", see first row)
from the row like the 3rd or the 8th ones, when the first two cells are
"unique" ("A" and "3" or "C" and "1").

Hi lunarossa,
I may be on the wrong track, but you could just stick the three components together:

alphanumfruit[,4]<-paste(alphanumfruit[,1],
 alphanumfruit[,2],alphanumfruit[,3],sep="")

and the fourth column of your object (which I suspect is a data frame) will have elements that can be tested for matching or non-matching. More complicated conditions can be accommodated by pasting different combinations of the columns together.

Jim