Claus,

Given that you have observed the hidden states they are not really hidden
anymore ... so maybe an HMM is not what you are looking for.

Assuming that you had such super observation powers using something like:

by(obs,hid,table)

will get you the state dependent counts of the categories of y and using
something like:

table(hid[-100],hid[-1])

gives you the transition counts (assuming hid has length -100)

hth, Ingmar