If you use Excel and are prepared to use the RCOM package, another option for
reading Excel workbooks becomes available:

ado<-comCreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
sql<-"SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]"
con<-"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=XLSDataSource.xlsx;Extended
Properties='Excel 12.0 Xml;IMEX=1;HDR=YES'"
comInvoke(ado,"Open",sql,con)
comInvoke(ado,"MoveFirst")
abc<-t(comInvoke(ado,"GetRows"))

To try this script:

1. Create a workbook named XLSDataSource.xlsx; save it where getwd() indicates.

2. In sheet1, type column names in Row 1, starting in Cell A1
3. Type some typical values under each column where yo have added names

Here's what my session shows:

> source("C:\\AJAY\\RSTATS\\SCRIPTS\\ADO.R")
> abc
     [,1] [,2]
[1,] 122  "Jan"
[2,] 133  "Feb"
attr(,"class")
[1] "rcomdata"

PS: If you want to use ADO, it is worthwhile getting to knpw all the methods
applicable to the ResordSet object; it is very flexible.