On Wed 11 Jan 2012 08:28:03 PM PST, Hasan Diwan wrote:
I have a list of bounds for a series of polygons. I do understand the
formula to determine whether point i is within polygon X (X[x1]<  i[x]
&  X[x2]>  i[x]&  X[y1]<  i[y]&  X[y2]>  i[y]), and I can apply this
throughout the dataset. However, this naive algorithm doesn't scale
very well. The data set contains 10,000 points consisting of (n,e)
pairs where I'm interested in which are inside polygons denoted by
vertices (V[x1]/V[y1],V[x2],V[y2]). Is there a shortcut to accomplish
this goal? Many thanks!  -- H

Check out the splancs package.  particularly the inout function.

Justin