Mark, statquant2

As I understand the question it is not to test if a VAR is stable but how
to construct a VAR that is stable and automatically satisfies the condition
Mark has taken from Lutkohl. The algorithm that I have set out will
automatically satisfy that condition.The matrix that should be "estimated
by the algorithm is A on the last line of page 15 of Lutkepohl.
 Incidentally the corresponding matrix for the example on page 15 is
singular. The algorithm that I have set out will only lead to systems with
a non-singular matrix.

I still don't see how a matrix generated in this way corresponds to a real
economic system.  Of course you may have some other constraints in mind
that would make the generated system correspond to something more real.

John

On Saturday, 14 January 2012, Mark Leeds <marklee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi statquant2 and john: In the first chapter of Lutkepohl, it is shown
that stability f
> a VAR(p) is the same as
>
> det(I_k - A1z - .... Ap Z^p )  does not equal zero for z < 1.
>
> where I_k - A1z - ... Ap z^p is referred to as the reverse characteristic
polynomial.

> So, statquant2,  given your A's,  one way to do it but be would be to
check the roots of the
> polynomial implied by taking the determinant of the your polynomial.
>
> There's an example on pg 17 of lutkepohl if you have it. If you don't, I
can fax it to you
> over the weekend if you want it.
>

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM, John C Frain <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think that you must approach this in a different way.
>>
>> 1 Draw a set of random eigenvalues with modulus < 1
>> 2 Draw a set of random eigenvalues vectors.
>> 3 From these you can, with some matrix manipulations, derive the
>> corresponding Var coefficients.
>>
>> If your original coefficients were drawn at random I suspect that the VAR
>> would not be stable. I am curious about what you are trying to do.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Friday, 13 January 2012, statquant2 <statqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello Paul
>> > Thanks for the answer but my point is not how to simulate a VAR(p)
process
>> > and check that it is stable.
>> > My question is more how can I generate a VAR(p) such that I already
know
>> > that it is stable.
>> >
>> > We know a condition that assure that it is stable (see first message)
but