If you are using rcom from Excel, then you would send R the vector of
numbers containing the values you were
interested in and you would get the mean back.  I suggest you look at the
RExcel implementation and duplicate its
capabilities.  The rcom documentation includes examples in other languages
than Excel.  Followup should be on the
rcom mailing list rco...@mailman.csd.univie.ac.at, which I am including by
cc.  You will need to sign up for that list
at rcom.univie.ac.at
While there also look at the discussions on the wiki there.

Rich