Dear R-help,

I must be missing something very obvious, but I am confused as to why the null distribution for p values generated by binom.test() appears to be non-uniform. The histogram generated below has a trend towards values closer to 1 than 0. I expected it to be flat.

hist(sapply(1:1000, function(i,n=100) binom.test(sum(rnorm(n)>0),n,p=0.5,alternative="two")$p.value))

This trend is more pronounced for small n, and the distribution appears uniform for larger n, say n=1000. I had expected the distribution to be discrete for small n, but not skewed. Can anyone explain why?

Many thanks,

Chris.