Thanks Sarah, All,

    I guess I never thought of a negative sign as an "operation", but
knowing that it is considered an operation explains everything nicely.
 Somewhere in it's underbelly, I suppose -4 is represented as "0 - 4"?
 Either way, I'm glad it is consistent & accurate, so that I didn't find
myself in another pickle like "weak" typing and attempts to use time /date
classes in 'R' have brought me.

                               Thanks!
                                      Mike

---
[The theory of gravity] is to me so great an absurdity that I believe no
Man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking can
ever fall into it.  -- Isaac Newton