 > (a-b)%%.1
[1] 0.1
 > (a-b)%/%.1
[1] 1
 > .2%%.1
[1] 0
 > .2%/%.1
[1] 2

      This performs as described on "?%/%".  In particular, the second
paragraph under "Value":

 '%%' indicates 'x mod y' and '%/%' indicates integer division.  It
     is guaranteed that 'x == (x %% y) + y * ( x %/% y )' (up to
     rounding error) unless 'y == 0' where the result is 'NA_integer_'
     or 'NaN' (depending on the 'typeof' of the arguments).  See <URL:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation> for the rationale.

      hope this helps.
      Spencer