Dear Bert and Mel,

thanks for your help, but I'm afraid this doesn't solve my problem.

As I wrote in my previous mail (cf quote below) in most cases I will not be
able to modify the code of the function that I want to run. This is why I
was asking for a wrapper solution similar to what tryCatch does. I have
hinted at a very inelegant version that generates a new R process for each
function run and kills the process after a given time. But I'm sure there
must be something more elegant. I hope I have been clear enough in my
problem description.

Thanks again,
  Lukas

Here is what I wrote before:
Note that mostly these functions are not written by me and not R code (like
nlme for example), so it is not feasible to adapt the function itself.
Rather, it needs to be a wrapper around the function, similar to tryCatch.