Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 08:42:54 -0400
From: Sarah Goslee <sarah.gos...@gmail.com>
To: Christopher Kurby <kur...@gvsu.edu>
Cc: "r-help@r-project.org" <r-help@r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] correlation between XY coordinates

Hi Chris,

To get a single value you might need something like a Mantel test,
available in both ecodist and vegan. That test is a permutation test of
significance of the correlation between two distance matrices.

Sarah

On May 6, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Christopher Kurby <kur...@gvsu.edu> wrote:

> Hey Josh (and everyone),
>
> My apologies, let me be more specific. I have two sets of XY coordinates
in Cartesian space. I would like to compute a correlation between the two
sets. For example, let's say I have two N X 2 matrices, with the first
column being the X coordinate, the second column being the Y, and with
each row being a new observation. I would like to know the strength the
relationship between the two sets of coordinates (matrices). cancor
provides two separate correlations, but I want a single value representing
the strength of the relationship. Is this more clear?

> Chris
>
> On May 5, 2012, at 11:44 PM, Joshua Wiley wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> As Jeff mentioned, it is hard to tell what you want (correlations
>> between sets of coordinates could mean many things it seems like to
>> me), but here is something that perhaps helps:
>>
>> ## some data (usually nice if you provide this rather than us having
>> to make something up)
>> d1 <- cbind(x <- rnorm(100), y <- rnorm(100))
>> d2 <- cbind(x2 = x + rnorm(100), y2 = y + rnorm(100))
>>
>> ## canonical correlation of the two matrices
>> cancor(d1, d2)
>>
>> ## simple correlation matrix of each dataset
>> cor(d1)
>> cor(d2)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Josh
>>
>> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Christopher Kurby <kur...@gvsu.edu>
wrote:
>>> Hello r world,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a function or package that can compute correlations
between sets of XY coordinates?