Dear Jeff,

R works fine for 220000 rows that i tested on a home PC with XP . Memory is
limited to hardware that you have. I suggest beefing up RAM to 2 GB and hard
disk space and then  working it out. I evaluated R too on my site
www.decisionstats.com and I found it comparable if not better to SPSS , SAS.

As a beginner , and in corporate projects try using the *GUI* R Commander or
the *Data Mining GUI Rattle *, its faster and will help you skip some steps,
you can also look at code generated side by side to learn the
language.........

I am not sure on the server client version, but that should work too ......

Also look at the book http://oit.utk.edu/scc/RforSAS&SPSSusers.pdf

that helps you as a reference guide. Rest of details are on my site
www.decisionstats.com

Also *try the software WPS* http://www.teamwpc.co.uk/products/wps, which
uses SAS language and provides the same functionality at 10-20 % of cost for
millions of rows.

Hope this helps,

Ajay