> Rolf,
>

> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 10:57 +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:
>> On 9/04/2008, at 10:30 AM, Phil Rhoades wrote:
>>
>> > People,
>> >
>> > Say a particular measure of an attribute for individuals in different
>> > populations gives a set of overlapping normal distributions (one
>> > distribution per population).  If I then measure this attribute in
>> > a new
>> > individual - how do I assess the likelihood of this new individual
>> > belonging to each of the different populations?
>>
>> You have a mixture of distributions.  Let the density be

>>      f(x) = SUM lambda_i * f_i(x)
>>                 i=1
>>
>> where the f_i(x) are the densities for the individual components in
>> the mixture,
>> and the lambda_i are the mixing probabilities.
>>
>> The probability that an individual with observation x is from
>> component i is
>>
>>             lambda_i * f_i(x)
>>             -----------------
>>                    f(x)
>

> Thanks for the quick response but I think I need to put some numbers on
> this so I can see what you mean.  Say I have two pops with individual
> values:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5
>
> 3 4 5 6 7
>
> and a new individual with value 5 - what is the likelihood of assignment
> to each of the populations?

Phil, for an application and more detailed explanation you can check the
article:
A Test for Long-Term Cyclical Clustering of Stock Market Regimes
John Powell, Rubén Roa, Jing Shi, Viliphonh Xayavong
Australian Journal of Management, vol. 32(2), 2007,
available for free download from the journal website:
http://www.agsm.edu.au/~eajm/current.html
I provide there a quotation to a book by Hamilton on time series, where
this technique is further explained.
By the way, the computation suggested is a conditional probability.
Rubén