Hi all,
probably really simple to solve, but having no background in programming I
haven't been able to figure this out: I have two dataframes like

df1 <- data.frame(names1=c('aa','ab', 'ac', 'ad'), var1=c(1,5,7,12))
df2 <- data.frame(names2=c('aa', 'ab', 'ac', 'ad', 'ae'),
var2=c(3,6,9,12,15))

Now I want merge var1 to df2 by matching the dataframes by the 'names'
columns, i.e. something like

df3 <- merge (df2, df1, by.x='names2', by.y='names1', all.x=T)

However, the original dataframes have quite a lot of columns and I thought
that I should be able to address the var1 column by something like
df1$var[[df2$name2]]. Could somebody please enlighten me and/or maybe
suggest a short tutorial for the extraction operator?
Thanks!

Best,

Kai