Hi Eik,

thank you very much for your reply! It now is working thank's your
explanations:

I didn't write my own recode function but I loaded the package car after
memisc.

I now tried

find("recode",mode="function")

and got

[1] "package:car"    "package:memisc"

as an output. So this means that the first mentioned package is the one
which is used by R. I also tried loading the packages again by closing R
and opending it again  - first memisc, afterwards car - and got a warning
message, which said:

##

Lade nötiges Paket: nnet

Attache Paket: ‘car’

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:memisc’:

    recode

##

I would have interpreted this warning the other way around, but this might
be a language problem of mine ( I would think this means "recode wird vom
memisc package verdeckt" - I would interpret this as the memisc package
still being the package in use)

Another thing which by mistake I actually wrote a bit differently than it
is written in the memisc manual  is that I used = instead of <- when using
the recode function which caused the error message:

invalid recoding request

I suppose this means that it is not always possible to excange an <- for an
=, maybe only in the base version?

(the code in the manual is actually:
memisc::recode(f,
  "B"<-c("c","d"),otherwise="copy"