I don't know if using R over ssh/remotely is off-topic, but the user
needs to provide more information. I am not knowledgeable about
wakeup-on-lan (isn't this set in the BIOS?) but I think it would be
helpful to know OS's, etc. How much more powerful is the desktop than
the laptop? If not, does it make sense to clutter b/w? Also, what does
the user envisage doing in the R simulations? I am assuming that this
will be run in the batch mode otherwise there does not seem to be much
point.

Ranjan

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:46:57 -0700 Jeff Newmiller
<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> Unix-ish operating systems often have X-Windows installed for GUI programs.
> In this environment, it is very common to log in remotely and run GUI
> programs on the remote computer that open windows on your local screen.
>
> It is also possible to run a vnc or Remote Terminal service/daemon on the
> remote computer so that you can see a copy of the GUI screen of the remote
> computer on your local computer. (RT is much more common on Microsoft Windows
> remote computers, vnc is more operating-system agnostic.)
>
> R runs fine either way, but each approach has its own quirks and advantages.
>
> Setting such software up is definitely off topic here.
> DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> Martin Batholdy <batho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a laptop and a desktop PC.
> >Now I was wondering, if it is possible to create a setup in which you
> >can use the laptop (where ever you are) to remotely access the PC, open
> >an R-instance and let the PC do the heavy computation.
> >
> >I have no idea about remote control, wake-on-lan, ssh and all these
> >things.
> >I just wanted to know if someone here on the list is actually working
> >with such a setup and if, once all is configured, it works reliable.
> >
> >how much work it is to set it up with an editor like emacs?
> >And for which buzzwords should I search the internet?
> >

> >sorry if that is the wrong mailing-list for this kind of questions,
> >I just hope to get some input on the topic.
> >
> >thanks!

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.