I'm attempting to update to R 2.15.1, and I'm having trouble with a package
that depends on the "Matrix" package. I've created a dummy package
consisting only of a DESCRIPTION file that specifies the dependence on
"Matrix", a NAMESPACE file, and an R directory, containing a single
function, "square <- function(x) { return (x*x) }". When I try to install,
I get the following error:

[ebernstein@coolio R]$ R CMD INSTALL temp -l /home/ebernstein/Rlib_2.15.1/
* installing *source* package ‘temp’ ...
** R
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'Matrix', details:
  call: assignInNamespace("..Old..as.matrix", base::as.matrix, ns = "base")
  error: locked binding of ‘..Old..as.matrix’ cannot be changed
Error : package ‘Matrix’ could not be loaded
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘temp’
* removing ‘/home/ebernstein/Rlib_2.15.1/temp’

If I remove the dependency on "Matrix", it installs fine. I'm using R
2.15.1 on linux, and version 1.0-6 of the Matrix package. Can anyone
explain what's going on here?

Thanks.

- Elliot

--
Elliot Joel Bernstein, Ph.D. | Research Associate | FDO Partners, LLC
134 Mount Auburn Street | Cambridge, MA | 02138