On 02/08/2012 19:13, Jie wrote:
Dear All,

I am learning parallel in R and start with the package "snow". I did a test
about running time and the parallel version is much slower than the regulat
code. My laptop is X200s with dual core intel L9400 cpu.

The OS matters far more. Overheads on Windows are much higher than on Linux for example.

Should I make more clusters than 2? Or how to improve the performance?

Not use such small tasks. This is discussed in the 'parallel' vignette (and we do suggest you start with 'parallel' these days).

# install.packages("snow")
library(snow)
cl <- makeCluster(2)
t1 <- proc.time()
a <- c()
for (i in 1:1000)
{
a[i] <- sum(parSapply(cl, 1:15, get("+"), 2))
}
proc.time()-t1
t2 <- proc.time()

See ?system.time