This is what I think;

Hive internally distributes the data. If you have set up Hive on single
core it will fetch the query results from that core. If you have multi-core
system on which you have setup the Hive, it will search all the cores for
the query submitted and results would be compiled together for final
output. The query would remain the same no matter whther you have a single
core or multiple cores or a cluster of machines.

Please correct me if I am going the wrong way.

Best,
Heramb