On Oct 24, 2012, at 2:14 AM, Johannes Graumann wrote:

Hello,

testclass <- setRefClass(
 "testclass",
 fields = list(testfield = "logical"),
 methods = list(validate=function(){testfield<<-TRUE}))

test <- testclass$new()
test$testfield
logical(0)
test$validate()
test$testfield
[1] TRUE

Works just fine for me.

I would love to be able to do something like

testclass <- setRefClass(
 "testclass",
 fields = list(testfield = "logical"),
 methods = list(validate=function(){
        testfield<<-TRUE
        .self$lock(testfield)
 }))

but am unabel to achieve that. Can anyone point out how to go about
rendering a field immutable after execution of a specific method?

The fact that you used only "lock" in your code and I am unable to find such a function makes me wonder whether that was an implicit psuedo-code effort and that you do not know about:

?lockBinding

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA