Hello,
I am trying to create a function that will move through each record of  a data
frame, find the value in the "HUC" column, then
randomly select another observation from the dataframe with the same value in
"HUC" column, as well as the same value in "Yr" column as the first
observation. I want the function to produce a list of the RchID of the first
observation, the RchID of the second randomly chosen observation, and several
other characteristics of the randomly chosen observation.  Below is the code I
have written, but it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help.
Christy

################test
roads=read.csv("streamland23.csv")

for (i in 1:nrow (roads)){
Sitetype= roads$Sitetype
yr=roads$REACH_Yr
initRchid=roads$RchID
huc1=roads$HUC

sample.df <- function(df, n) df[sample(nrow(df), n), , drop = FALSE]

selected=sample.df(roads[roads$HUC == "huc1"& roads$REACH_Yr =="yr" , ], 1)

output=cbind (initRchid,selected$RchID,selected$Sitetype,selected$REACH_Yr)

}

Christy Meredith
USDA Forest Service
Rocky Mountain Research Station
PIBO Monitoring
Data Analyst
Voice: 435-755-3573
Fax: 435-755-3563

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for
the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the
use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and
immediately.