Hi David,

Yes, it is - although the SO question was more directed at figuring out why
sapply seemed slower, the question to R-help is more nuanced in "is this
coercion really necessary for data.frames?", and I figured it might take
some more knowledge of R internals / the difference between lists and
data.frames to answer that.

Ie, might we be introducing some weird subtle bug(s) if we called the
*apply functions on an un-coerced data.frame?

-Kevin