Hi,

I'm curious about Tab stops in graphics:

plot(1)
text(1.2, 1.2, "Char\nMoreChar")

works fine, but

text(1.2, 0.8, "Char\tMoreChar")

doesn't.
Exporting with pdf tells me that the sign width is unknown.
I'm not into informatics, so I don't know how a tabstop actually works. Is this
at all possible in graphical commands as it is in write.table and the like?

I'm e.g. writing a legend with two colums.
I solve this with adding "          " via paste to each element of the first
column in one legend command, and then adding a second legend more to the right
with the second column with bty="n".
That's OK for the results, but not elegant programming...
paste(ColumnOne, "\t", ColumnTwo, sep="") would be more what I'd intuitively
use.

Any ideas are welcome!

Berry (Potsdam, Germany)