On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Lorenzo Isella wrote:

Dear All,
For a data mining project, I am relying heavily on the RandomForest and Party packages. Due to the large size of the data set, I have often memory problems (in particular with the Party package; RandomForest seems to use less memory). I really have two questions at this point 1) Please see how I am using the Party and RandomForest packages. Any comment is welcome and useful.

myparty <- cforest(SalePrice ~ ModelID+
                 ProductGroup+
                 ProductGroupDesc+MfgYear+saledate3+saleday+
                 salemonth,
                 data = trainRF,
control = cforest_unbiased(mtry = 3, ntree=300, trace=TRUE))

rf_model <- randomForest(SalePrice ~ ModelID+
                  ProductGroup+
                  ProductGroupDesc+MfgYear+saledate3+saleday+
                  salemonth,
                  data = trainRF,na.action = na.omit,
 importance=TRUE, do.trace=100, mtry=3,ntree=300)

2) I have another question: sometimes R crashes after telling me that it is unable to allocate e.g. an array of 1.5 Gb.

Do not use the word 'crash': see the posting guide. I suspect it gives you an error message.

However, I have 4Gb of ram on my box, so...technically the memory is there, but is there a way to enable R to use more of it?

Yes. I am surmising this is Windows but you have not told us so. See the rw-FAQ. The real answer is to run a 64-bit OS: your computer may have 4GB of RAM, but your OS has a 2GB address space which could be raised to 3GB.

Many thanks

Lorenzo

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk