Hi everyone,

I ran into the issue below while trying to execute a command of the form

apply(list.names,1, function(x)  F(favorite.list$x) )

where list.names is a character vector containing the names of the elements
of favorite.list and F is some function defined on a list element.

Namely,  the $ operator doesn't treat the string variable 'x' as the string
it represents, so that, e.g.

> ll <- list(ss="abc")
> ll$ss
[1] "abc"
> ll$"ss"
[1] "abc"

but

> name <- "ss"
> ll$name
NULL

I can get around this by using integers and the [[ and [ operators, but I'd
like to be able to use names directly, too -- how would I go about doing
this?

Thanks for your help in clarifying what might be going on here.

David