there may be no advantage at all.  I don't even know a full set of the
choices here.  if someone does know all the choices, it would be good to
point out to readers why my design choices are worse and/or what the
alternatives are.  some of it is, of course, simply taste.

I like the simplicity and minimum learning curve for novices for what I put
down.  I also like that this system is structured enough to be mapped into
the standard R packaging system without much trouble.  the original R
packaging system is more complex, doesn't keep the docs with the code, and
has a higher learning curve.  it is more flexible, though.

for the R code itself, relative to oxygen, I like avoiding the "#' " on
each line and the simple grouping of tests and docs in the same file.   I
also like the way the entry contract tests are done and the perl-like
conditionals [with recognition and use of estrings],  I think this will
encourage their use and make error messages more informative.  if I had any
influence on the R core team, I think it should adopt these perl-like
conditionals with estrings, as well as introduce a strict option.

I may be a weird bird here: I know enough R to do damage, but not enough to
know what I am doing.  put differently, R is a programming language for me,
but I don't have the time to learn its finer details.  I am a simple R
user, not an R developer.  my guess is that there are many of my types, but
I do not know this.  in any case, I am greatly indebted to you, Uwe, and a
couple of others to have helped me out many times to solve problems I have
run into.  without r-help, I would have given up on it.

regards,

/iaw

----
Ivo Welch (ivo.we...@gmail.com)