On 04/17/2013 06:24 PM, David Arnold wrote:
Hi,

Typical things you read when new to stats are cautions about using a
t-statistic when comparing independent samples. You are steered toward a
pooled test or welch's approximation of the degrees of freedom in order to
make the distribution a t-distribution. However, most texts give no
information why you have to do this.

So I thought I try a little experiment which is outlined here.

Distrubtion of differences of independent samples
<http://msemac.redwoods.edu/~darnold/math15/R/chapter11/DistributionForTwoIndependentSamplesPartII.html>

As you can see in the above link, I see no evidence why you need a pooled or
Welch's in these images.

Anyone care to comment? Or should I put this on Stack Exchange?

D.

Admittedly, I just skimmed the page, but one thing stands out. Your standard deviations are really quite close to each other. Try your simulations again with variance ratios exceeding 2 and see what happens.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)