On May 8, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Sean Carmody wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas about how you could use R to produce a fancy area
plot like this one in the NY Times? http://tinyurl.com/6rr22g

I certainly hope not, I wouldn't want my favorite statistics program to produce an area graph where the sizes of the areas are not proportional to the percentages represented, and where the shapes of the areas are so irregular as to make effective area comparisons near impossible...

Unless my eyes are seriously deceiving me, which is quite possible.

It would be interesting however, to find out how such a graph is constructed. I wonder if hyperbolic geometry enters the picture.

Regards,
Sean,

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College