Hi Greg

On 21/06/13 08:02, Greg Dropkin wrote:
> hi
>
> I'm trying to understand (a little) the code behind summary.gam, and have
> the Biometrika article referred to in the Help. But am stuck early on.
>
> In the code, starting at line 167:
>
> if (est.disp)
>    rdf <- residual.df
> else rdf <- -1
> res <- testStat(p, Xt, V, df[i], type = p.type,
>    res.df = rdf)
>
> 1) shouldn't there be some brackets in the if else statement?
- I don't think so. rdf is either the residual degrees of freedom used to compute the scale parameter estimate or a signal of fixed scale parameter, to be passed to testStat.

> 2) what is testStat?
mgcv:::testStat
- probably worth looking at the original source code which includes some comments. It does the actual computation.

best,
Simon

--
Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283 On