On May 15, 2008, at 2:07 PM, lamack lamack wrote:

Dear all, someone could explain why the following example is not a valid
randomization scheme?

 Consider an experiment in which the
six experimental units to be used are permanently fixed in a row and two treat- ments are to be randomly assigned to the units. (One can think of fruit trees or a sequence of runs on a piece of laboratory equipment as the experimental units.) A scientist proposes using an unbiased coin to assign the treatments. He comes to the first unit, tosses the coin, and if it shows a head, assigns treatment a and otherwise, treatment b. This is repeated at the second unit, and so on, until three units have been assigned to one of the treatments. Then the remaining units are assigned to the other treatment. Show that this is not a valid randomization
scheme.

Hm, this sounds very much like a homework. So I am going to leave you with what I would perceive to be a hint. Presumably a valid randomization scheme is one where each of the possible resulting arrangements is equally likely. So all you got to do is find out why some of them are more likely than others in your case.

best regards.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College