Tal,

please quote the whole message!
I had to look for the original one now.

And then I found that code was not reproducible for me:

 exe_URL = 'http://pandoc.googlecode.com/files/pandoc-1.11.1.msi'
 exe_filename <- file.path(tempdir(), file.name.from.url(exe_URL))

Error in file.path(tempdir(), file.name.from.url(exe_URL)) :
  could not find function "file.name.from.url"

and I do not know such a function. From its name I can guess

 basename(exe_URL)

is the base function that does the trick.

So please specify full and reproducible code that shows the error, including and does not contain any additional quirks like the mode="w"....

Anyway, the installer works for me downloaded with the method I indicated before.

Best,
Uwe Ligges