On 10/02/2013 04:43 AM, Xianwen Chen wrote:
Thanks Jim,

The picture width is adjusted. That was great help! I really appreciate it.

Does lwd mean 'line width'? I'm not exactly sure how that will help. Can
you please explain the intuition behind it?

Yes, "lwd" refers to line width. The combination lty=3,lwd=3 should give you a thick dotted line.

Can I also ask another question? My graph is made from 7 plots from
sm.density.compare(). These 7 plots are put together by:

par(mfrow=c(4,2))

To make all 7 plots comparable, I specify y- and x-axis ranges. Here is
the sample code for one of the plots:

sm.density.compare(
c(sample_1, sample_2), # sample_1 and sample_2 are two vectors, each
corresponding to a sample
rep(1:2, rep(140, 2)),
lty = c(1, 3),
lwd = c(1, 3), # This change was made by taking your suggestion.
col = c("black", "black"),
xlab="Sample",
xlim=c(-40, 60),
ylim=c(0, 0.15)
)

legend("topright", c("MMNL", "GMNL"), lty = c(1, 3), cex = 1)

Somehow, xlim and ylim do not have an effect. I did not have this
problem when I was running R in Arch Linux; but now I'm using Debian Linux.

xlim and ylim seem to work correctly when I tried this:

sample_1<-runif(280,-20,40)
sample_2<-runif(280,0,0.1)

sm.density.compare(c(sample_1, sample_2),
            rep(1:2, rep(140, 2)),
            lty = c(1, 3),
            lwd = c(1, 3),
            col = c("black", "black"),
            xlab="Sample",
            xlim=c(-40, 60),
            ylim=c(0, 0.15)
    )

However, while the lty=3 worked correctly, the lwd=3 didn't. I think that this function does not pass all of the graphics parameters to the plot function - see the help page on sm.options.

Jim