You can use the XLConnect package to read in a range of rows and columns,
then define a function to subset the odd rows.  For example,

library(XLConnect)
wb <- loadWorkbook("C:/temp/MyData.xls")
dat <- readWorksheet(wb, sheet=getSheets(wb)[1], startRow=1, endRow=139,
startCol=5, endCol=5)
dat <- readWorksheet(wb, sheet=getSheets(wb)[1], startRow=1, endRow=79,
startCol=5, endCol=5)
odds <- function(x) x[seq(1, length(x), 2)]
odds(unlist(dat))

Jean