On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:32:00 +0100, Barry Rowlingson <b.rowling...@lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM, j. van den hoff
<veedeeh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

ps: it of course would still be nice, if the surface area (or a vector
containing the individual triangle areas)
were returned to the caller as well ...

 Does the 'surfaceArea' function in the sp package do what you want?
It's Edzer's integration of an R function that I wrote that calls some
C code that someone else wrote that implements an algorithm from 2004.

 You just need to coerce your grid data into the right form.

not quite, I believe: I need to compute the area of a (closed) iso-surface of a 3D object
defined by samples on a discrete 3D grid.
if I understand correctly from a quick view on `sp', `surfaceArea' does compute
the surface integral of some function  z = f(x,y), instead.

but thanks for the pointer anyway, this might still be useful in a different context.

joerg

 Barry