On May 22, 2008, at 8:56 AM, maiya wrote:

sorry, my mistake!
the data frame should read:
orig<-as.data.frame.table(orig)
orig
 Var1 Var2 Freq
1    A    A   40
2    B    A    5
3    A    B   30
4    B    B   25

but basicaly i would simply like a sample of the original matrix ( which is
a frequency table/contingency table/crosstabulation)

hope this is clearer now!

This should get you started:

with(list(x=sample(1:4, 10, prob=orig$Freq, replace=TRUE)), sapply (1:4, function(k) sum(x==k)))

Or you can break it up in two steps (at the cost of creating a new variable):

x <- sample(1:4, 10, prob=orig$Freq, replace=TRUE)
sapply(1:4, function(k) sum(x==k))

maja

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College

jholtman wrote:

Not exactly clear what you are asking for. Your data.frame.table does not seem related to the original 'orig'. What exactly are you expecting as
output?