It doesn't break anything - you can transform the predictors pretty much
any way you like, and it is often sensible as a way of tackling very
uneven leverage. By transforming predictors, all you are changing in the
model is what "smooth" means. e.g. smooth w.r.t. log(x) is somewhat
different to sooth w.r.t. x.

best,
Simon