I'll re-enter the fray.
The data set is an example where coxph is incorrect; due to round off error it
is treating
a 5 column rank 3 matrix as if it were rank 4. This of course results in 0 digits of precision.
  Immediate fix, for the user, is to add "toler.chol= 1e-10" to their coxph
call. It is
very likely that they will never ever have to change this value.

I will look into changing the default from its current value of
.Machine$double.eps^.75.
However, I first have to check that this does not break anything else.  All
"epsilon"
constants are a delicate dance between mutiple data sets, and anyone with long
experience
in numerical anlysis will tell you that it is impossible to find constants that
will work
for every data set.  This is true for linear models, logistic, Cox, ... you
name it.

In summary:
I appreciate the example.
I'll add to my list of "nasty" problems.
I may be able to fix long term, and maybe not. Changing the constant may break something else.
I've given a good short term fix.

Terry T.