People who subscribe to an avoid-for-loops "mantra" are often missing the
point. Converting for loops to indexing can often yield speed improvements.
Converting for loops to apply functions does not improve speed. (If you think
it does, you are probably handling memory allocation differently.) Worse, in
some cases it can reduce readability, so doing it because of a "mantra" can
actually harm your code.

Also, posting in HTML is hardly the "R-help way" (see the Posting Guide).
DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing