On 05/03/2014 17:24, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
On 05/03/2014 8:34 AM, rebecca.hil...@meteoswiss.ch wrote:
Dear all,

Ghostscript (version 9.05) cannot open pdfs produced with R (version
3.0.2) that contain very small points in plots. Other pdf readers
(evince, AcrobatReader) are able to open the file. If setting cex=0,
the pdf is readable again:

# does open with gs
pdf("cex_small.pdf")
plot(1,1,cex=10^-3)
dev.off()

# does not open with gs
pdf("cex_verysmall.pdf")
plot(1,1,cex=10^-4)
dev.off()

# does open with gs
pdf("cex_zero.pdf")
plot(1,1,cex=0)
dev.off()

For sure, I can check the value assigned to cex before plotting.
However, this is rather inconvenient. I need to convert the graphs
using convert to other file formats, hence simply using another pdf
readers is not an option either. Any suggestions?

 From your description, it sounds like a Ghostscript bug, so you might
want to report it to them.  But a simple workaround is to just round
your cex values, e.g. use round(cex, 2) and 0.001 will become 0.

Or a different interpretation of the PDF standard.

Why anyone would want an object of size less than 0.01 bp (which is where the issue arises) escapes me.

I'll probably do the rounding internally for safety.

Duncan Murdoch

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk