when I am on Windows, I use the msdos cmd shell and the Rtools when
I am building an R package.  It doesn't know anything about cygwin,
doesn't need to know anything about cygwin, and bypasses the need
to coordinate the two.

For everything else I use the cygwin bash.  the cygwin shell doesn't know
about the Rtools.

Rich